Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Assam Laksa

my assam laksa from my camera phone - still learning how to use it properly

Since i work so close to spencer village
i have made it a habit to visit the food hall once in a while.
i do love my curry laksa and mee reebus and hor fun and that...
but a friend told me to try the assam laksa.

i have had it once before in KL...
it was from a food court again in god knows where
The first time i had it - i found it VERY bizarre!!
whats with the udon noodle bits? cucumbers and pineapple?!!
it was just too wierd for me... i finished it - i think... enjoyed it?
more like confused.

So today i tried it again for the 2nd time
This time i knew what i was expecting so it wouldnt shock me so much like the first time.

The assam laksa at Penang hawkers / Spencer Village was very good value at $6.50
The broth was absolutely delicious! Thick with flavour and very sour too.
I loved the mint and onions they added to it, because it reminds me of pho and added new flavours to the sour broth.
Not much in terms of meat- so i dont think its a boys dish, i saw bits and pieces of fish (like tuna) floating around here and there.
Could have been anchovies for all i know to add to the salty/sour broth.
This time i enjoyed it a lot more!
will i eat it again? definitely - but not in the middle of summer and esp those times when u feel like something sour or different.

Penang Hawkers/ Spencer Village Food Court / Spencer Road / Thornlie

1 comment:

Starwolfgang said...

I love assam laksa - one of my most favourite malaysian dishes ever. It's a fish curry that's why there's no meat in it:-) The other day I had assam laksa at a malaysian restaurant in Phnom Penh - but there was no pineapple! It was ok but lacked the juiciness I am used to. Just made homemade pizza dough and going to put the toppings on... Next time I am in Perth would love to bake scones with you! Love rambly Jo